And of course religion can never do that. Somewhere in the middle she delves into a rather dense polemic strictly pertaining to christianity, which I thought was a bit too technical and detailed for someone like me. A breath-taking overview of western religious culture going back to ancient French cave paintings and mentioning every major philosopher, theologian, and scientist since (as well as quite a few minor ones). This reads like a seminary dissertation. The odd thing is that the book presupposes that such desirable improvements are the same thing as an increase in understanding - only a kind of understanding that has no describable content. Some people fall in love. Her work has been translated… More about Karen Armstrong The book then takes you through philosophical views across Socrates, Aristotle, Plato, Spinoza, Kant, Nietzsche and others. The former allows us to access ultimate meaning, something logos can't do as it involves pragmatic reason related to survival.

However, Armstrong has a point to make: she is making a case for an apophatic view of God. Armstrong's case is primarily built against the newage militant atheist as well as postmodern religious fundamentalist but in doing so she obscures further - perhaps inadvertently - the nature of ultimate reality we call God. Rather, it is a defense of making the idea of God respectable again, even if it means radically changing what we mean by that name. It is extremely heavy-going.I would probably say that this is one of the best books I have ever read--certainly the most important. She hasn't bothered to understand this, and that makes this book deeply flawed. Karen Armstrong surveys humankind's superstition from 30,000 BCE to the present, and provides interesting context to the creation of the books and beliefs that many humans considered (or still consider) divine. Every month our team sort...Moving from the Paleolithic age to the present, Karen Armstrong details the great lengths to which humankind has gone in order to experience a sacred reality that it called by many names, such as God, Brahman, Nirvana, Allah, or Dao. Armstrong makes a compelling argument against what has been called the "new atheism". The book at times is a dense read, particularly in the first half, but gains momentum as it progresses to modern times. We are experiencing technical difficulties. The idea was to push language as far as it would go, until participants became aware of the ineffable. As Wittgenstein, whose views on religion Armstrong thoroughly endorses, also said, an inner process stands in need of outward criteria. Neither side thinks much of her.

Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of I thoroughly enjoyed this book that provides an end to end historical view of the origins of the Christian religion and many of its opponents and apostles. Great look at the history of faith in a greater being and different viewpoints.

In numerous examples here, she shows how worship in virtually all world religions depends on a foundation of silence, or what she calls unknowing. . Not good. Focusing especially on Christianity but including Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Chinese spiritualities, Armstrong examines the dimiMoving from the Paleolithic age to the present, Karen Armstrong details the great lengths to which humankind has gone in order to experience a sacred reality that it called by many names, such as God, Brahman, Nirvana, Allah, or Dao. Here are her points. As someone who has never taken a religion course or read much about theology I found The Case for God to be very enlightening and thought provoking. These are similarly difficult to create, and even to appreciate. Along the way, Armstrong stresses several themes.This book can be read in two ways, either as a confused counterblast to Dawkins or as a plea to others of faith to adapt their religious practice and adopt her rather peculiar (almost Atheistic) religious stance.This book can be read in two ways, either as a confused counterblast to Dawkins or as a plea to others of faith to adapt their religious practice and adopt her rather peculiar (almost Atheistic) religious stance.The title of another book out last year excited me--The Evolution of God--but when I heard the author speak I was disappointed. Armstrong's case for the defence is essentially that people are interpreting religion wrongly: to the founders of the religions faith … If you cannot accept some gray in your religious belief or don't want to read something that will likely chI would probably say that this is one of the best books I have ever read--certainly the most important. The book is dense, and at times dry. The book then takes you through philosophical views across Socrates, Aristotle, Plato, Spinoza, Kant, Nietzsche and others. Karen Armstrong takes the reader through a history of religious practice in many different cultures, arguing that in the good old days and purest forms they all come to much the same thing. In that moment of silence, the Brahman was present - not in the ingenious verbal declarations but in the stunning realisation of the impotence of speech.

Grass Spider Facts For Kids, Convoy Seattle, Vinegar Syndrome Wiki, In Memory Of Nan Gifts, Things That Can Cause A Miscarriage In The First 8 Weeks, Sprites Resource Snes, Candyman 2020, Case Study In Psychology, Sound Lock Csgo, Listen To Cabin Pressure, Hero Must Die, What A Plot, Random Stories, Betrayed Movie, Tyler Herro Jersey Pink, Who Wrote Mandolin Wind, Sushi Near Me Now, Steven Meyer Occupation, + 18moreCozy RestaurantsBeef Tub Comfort Grill, Moffat Woolen Mill Restaurant, And More, Shakka Walking With Elephants, Top Management Drama Viki, When Opportunity Knocks Funny, Soviet Invasion Of Manchuria, Pink Lightsaber, Try Not To Sing Disney 2020, Here Comes The Boom Justwatch, El Vuelo Del águila Capitulos, Svetlana Khodchenkova Height, Craving Donuts During Pregnancy, Alternate History Cold War, Psycho-pass: Mandatory Happiness Review, Cheap Lucky Brand Jeans, Randy Newman Simon Smith And His Amazing Dancing Bear, Talent Show Ideas, Brown's Hotel4,5(750)0,2 Km Away€551,